MARIE JOSEPH Schooner – Cargo COAL – East of Preston Coastguard Station. DCC:22/12/1881. Note: “Went ashore at the same place as the RAVENSWORTH sometime ago”? NLR? & Dorchester Telegram: 23/12/1888. See also Times

“Shipping Casualties – During the heavy gale of Saturday the French smack ABONDANCE, Le Claires, from Rouen to Exeter, with a cargo of 75 tons or potatoes, parted from her moorings in Portland Roadstead, and was at one time in great danger of going on the North Shore off Whitenose. She left Rouen on the 13th for Exeter, but in consequence of strong winds was compelled to put into Havre. Taking advantage of a change in the wind the little craft again set out to sea and reached as far as Torquay, when another storm arose, and she was compelled to run for Portland, where she anchored about mid-day on Saturday. Shortly after two she parted her chain and cable and began to drive, and, in order to prevent her going on a lee-shore, the captain had the mainsail and jib set, intending to make for the Isle of Wight, but in doing so the mainsail split, and she became unmanageable, rapidly drifting towards the shore. Fortunately the COMMODORE tug happened to be in the Roads at the time, having come from Bridport, and, seeing the dangerous position of the smack, went to her assistance, and when only about 800 yards from the shore succeeded in getting her in tow and bringing her to the harbour in safety. Throughout the early part of Sunday morning there was a heavy gale blowing, at first from the south-west, afterwards veering to the north-west, with rain and hail. In one of the sudden squalls the French schooner MARIE JOSEPH, Le Martelot, master, with coals from Sunderland for Landernean, near Brest, parted with her two anchors in Portland Roads at half-past one, and was driven ashore about 200 yards east of Preston coastguard station at four o’clock. It was high water at the time, and she went on the ledge of rocks only a few hundred yards from the shore. As there was no imminent danger of the ship coming to pieces the crew remained on board until eight, when, as soon as it was practicable, Mr. Hall, the chief officer of the Preston station, and his men proceeded to save the crew, which they successfully accomplished by means of life lines. At this time the tide was low, so that the vessel could be approached tolerably close. One of the coastguard had a line attached to him, and, made secure with this he waded into the sea as far as he could, and then threw a line on board the ship, which the crew fastened one by one to their bodies and were thus pulled ashore through the surf. The men saved their clothing. The crew were most kindly treated at the coastguard station, where refreshments and dry clothing were provided for them. (Also in LARN, 1881)


Dorchester Telegram Newspaper: 23/12/1881

Day of Loss: 17

Month of Loss: 12

Year of Loss: 1881



Approximate Depth: